Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Hip Baby Quilt Pattern Review by Amy

Do you remember late in July when I posted on Facebook that I had picked out these fabrics and pattern to make a quilt?




It's finally finished!!

I chose a selection of great pink/purple, green, and blue/green fabrics that all coordinated with that sweet little candy stripe. The overall effect is definitely appropriate for a baby quilt, but doesn't scream baby in the way that a bunch of light pinks and purples or tons of baby blue would.

This is a great pattern for a beginning quilter, because it allows you to try out five different types of blocks within the same pattern, yet all the pieces are squares and rectangles. One of the blocks is just a 6.5" square -- no piecing required!


I recommend spending a little time organizing what you need before you begin cutting. The pattern lists what you need to cut for block 1, then for block 2, etc., but I found it easier to write down the sizes of all the pieces, figure out how to most efficiently cut those, and then to start cutting. With careful planning, you can get all the pieces for the blocks out of one 6.5" strip that is the width of the fabric!

And because the pattern called for 3/8 of a yard of each of the nine different fabrics, and because I opted not to make the border, I had enough fabric left over to piece the backing AND to make a pieced binding for this quilt, all from that original 3/8 yard of each fabric.


In short, I think this is a fun and fairly quick quilt to put together -- once I really got started on it, it took me no time at all! And with only nine fabrics to choose, you'll have this one ready to go in a jiffy. Stop by the shop and let us help you pick out fabrics for your own personal version of the Hip Baby Quilt. Picking fabric combinations is one of our favorite things to do!




Pin It

No comments: