Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Charlotte Reviews the "Les Abeilles" Shawlette Pattern

In December, we received a beautiful box of Wool Candy Eclair in the shop. The warm, spicy Ferrous colorway was too enticing to leave on the counter, so I stashed it in my drawer. When I saw Anne Hanson’s new shawlette pattern, “les Abeilles,” I knew we had a match!



The pattern calls for 275 yards of a silky fingering weight yarn with approximately 400 yards per 100 grams. With those specifications, Three Irish Girls Westerly SeaSock, Karabella Vintage Cotton, or Misti Alpaca Pima Silk (with slight modifications) would also work. But that Eclair just needed to be knit. I love working with the Eclair! The color and sheen are gorgeous and I had absolutely no splitting or unhappy surprises. It slid off my pointy Chiao Goo bamboo circular needles (US size 4) and never got caught on the joins as I worked back and forth.  

As in all of her Knitspot patterns, Anne includes both written and charted instructions for “les Abeilles”. The shawlette is knit from the hem inwards, so I cast on 242 stitches and started in on the lace. All patterning happens on the right side, giving the knitter a rest row in between the “pay attention” rows. The chart is clear and I soon had the pattern repeat memorized.  



After the initial 40 rows of lace, the shawlette transitions to garter stitch. At that point, I knew I was near the end of the knitting, so I picked it up whenever and wherever I could. This project took only four days from cast-on to bind-off. I blocked it one afternoon and brought it in to the shop the next day to show it off. If I were to knit “les Abeilles” again, I would do it all the same way, although I might choose a different colorway. Where’d that Verdant go, anyway?

Photo from knitspot.com.
Pin It

3 comments:

CrochetBlogger said...

It always feels so good when you have a yarn in mind that you want to work with and you suddenly realize the exact right project for it!

Sydney said...

Beuatiful pattern and beautifully knit as usual, Miss Charlotte! Great color choice. Looks like that Anne Hanson hit it out of the park again!

Charlotte said...

Thank you! I do think the yarn/pattern fit was spot-on this time. That's probably a big reason I finished it so quickly; I really couldn't put it down without doing "yet another row!"