Monday, December 20, 2010

Home for the Holidays...


Last night I hosted the gals from the Nest at my house for our Holiday Party.  I cooked the main course (Coq au Vin for those keeping track at home) and everyone showed up with their appetizers, sides, and desserts.  What a feast of riches...and by riches I mean food!

The best part of the evening was the gift exchange though, which we did sort of White Elephant style, where you draw numbers and can steal gifts from each other.  For the most part everyone was polite about the stealing and there were a lot of "we should turn that project into a class!" comments.  The one thing that went through my brain while in the midst of exchanging beautifully handmade gifts was "I am so fortunate to be a part of this amazingly talented group of women."  Each gift was lovely and showed the love, effort, style, and craftsmanship that I have come to know and expect from these ladies.  Ranging from jam to jewelry and scarves to aprons, the gifts ran the gamut, but each one was unique to the person who made it and ended up with the person who could use it the most.

And what's a party without favors?  I thought long and hard about what to give the gals who have so enriched my life and who make the Nest a beautiful place to be.  As a store owner one of the things that I love about my job is encouraging others to be the people they are meant to be.  So, in the spirit of giving back and encouraging others, thus making a global impact, I gave each one of the gals a gift card to Kiva.  If you haven't heard about Kiva, you need to look at their website.  Kiva is about lending money to people in third world countries to funding small loans for their businesses.  You can search by trade, country, amount.  It's really cool!  Basically, you commit to loaning the person X amount of dollars and when they repay the loan you get your money back which you can then choose to loan out to another person or you can withdraw the funds.  Even $25 can be the catalyst for someone to get that cow, sewing machine, or supplies they need to make their business a go.

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world" said Gandhi and I believe that starts with encouraging people to be who they are meant to be. Pin It

No comments: