Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cosplay- When Everyday is Halloween

This past weekend I was having lunch with my sister, chatting with one of her friends about his daughter's love of Cosplay.  Now, not having kids of my own, especially teenagers who seem to be the Cosplay demographic (forgive me for my ignorance if you are an adult Cosplayer) I had to ask him, what is Cosplay?  He went on to say that his teenage daughter makes very elaborate costumes to go to Anime conventions, movie premieres, etc. using lots of hot glue and minimal sewing.  He then went on to spout his hatred of their ironing board which is perpetually out and in use at home.  I had to laugh at that remembering my own parents having the same gripe as I would sew at home.

Thanks Wikipedia for clearing this up!  "Cosplay, short for 'costume play' is a type of performance art in which participants don costumes and accessories to represent a specific character or idea.  Characters are often drawn from popular fiction in Japan."

I don't think Bobbin's Nest is going to get into the Cosplay game because sparkly fabric and glue guns aren't our bag, but I just wanted to give a shout out to the Cosplayers out there!  As a kid I wished everyday was Halloween and having kept most of my elaborate costumes I made from teen to adult I applaud you!  Apparently, this same teenager made an entire skirt of felt leaves and a headdress to match with red roses on it for the "Alice in Wonderland" premiere this past weekend!  Go girl go!  (If I can get pictures I will post them!)



Pin It

No comments: