Saturday, January 24, 2009

Hannah Jane- 12/18/94-1/24/09

The blog has been silent for over a week now, and unfortunately, there is reason other than just being busy. I don't normally use this as a personal forum, but many of you have noticed my absence from the store this week which warrants an explanation.

My sweet cat Hannah has past away this morning. This is a devastating loss for me because Hannah was my faithful companion for over 15 years. She endured college, roommates, jobs, boyfriends, getting married, friendships, and opening the store with me. For those of you who never got the opportunity to meet her you should know there will never be another one like her. She was truly one-of-a-kind. I've even said that when this day came I would have her cloned or stuffed. I have chosen to do neither as both options wouldn't bring her back or do her justice.

The first thing you would have noticed was her size. Hannah was very small and perpetually looked like a kitten. At most she only weighed 6 pounds. Most people (including her vet) would say she was the smallest cat they'd ever seen. She wasn't any particular breed that I know of, just small and grey.

The second thing you would have noticed were her eyes. She had the most glorious eye color for a cat...turquoise blue that were as brilliant as a summer's swimming pool. They sparkled and shone like no other cat I have known.

Finally, her tail was a source of speculation and ridicule. As crooked as a lightening bolt, Hannah came to me this way. In fact, I didn't notice it until the vet pointed it out. I am not sure what happened to it, but as with all of her quirks it was endearing and made her my girl.

Hannah was special in every way...even mentally. Her beginning was not a rosy one having come to the Sacramento SPCA after a raid on a woman who kept over 100 cats in cages, starved and beaten. To this day, Hannah was afraid of the broom, and despised being in a cage. Due to malnutrition, neglect, and abuse, Hannah was always just a little "off," but as sweet as they come and the most co-dependent cat you will ever meet. She couldn't be anywhere, but with me, following me around and meowing in what I am convinced was a Southern drawl. I would get home and she would tell me all about her day. For 15 years this was a constant in my life. The fact is: she chose me that December day at the SPCA. I was looking for a fat, orange cat, when this scrawny little grey one reached out and snagged the back of my sweater. Call it kismet, call us kindred spirits, Hannah chose me and I fell in love.

She and I were a package deal. I gave up apartments, boyfriends who were allergic, and those who thought I was just another crazy cat lady. My heart is broken. As a person without human children, Hannah was my child. I know over time my heart will mend, but I will never forget that day that she chose me to be her mom. I was lucky to have been picked and I thank her for all that she gave me in return. Pin It

9 comments:

Lisa said...

I am very sorry for your loss.

D B said...

I'm so sorry about Hannah, she was a great cat through and through.

theknitist said...

Oh Erin, I'm so sorry. Losing a pet is nothing short of losing a dear, dear friend and member of your family. I'm so so sorry for your loss. I'm thinking of you :)

AlewivesGirl said...

I'm so sorry, Erin.

Your memories of Hannah will always be your treasures and I'm glad you posted about her.

Hang in there.

Rhea

IrishgirlieKnits said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. Big hugs!

Chloe Sparkle said...

I'm sorry, but surely she's in cat heaven telling everybody about her day!

BTW, my word verification is "micat"

Bogie said...

I'm sorry Erin. They're such loyal companions through the years... and I'm sure the feeling was mutual.

Anita Sparks said...

Erin, I am very sorry for the loss of your kitty.

Emy said...

So sad...Hannah was a great kitty. :(