Friday, July 4, 2008

In which I become a voracious reader

One of my favorite childhood pastimes was reading...especially summer reading.  Growing up in a small house, in a small town, with a small budget, an outing to the public library once a week, checking out as many books as we could carry was one form of high entertainment!  It also helped that the library had air conditioning and we didn't.  Call me a nerd, or what you will, but lolling about on a summer day with a good book is my idea of time well spent. As a kid, the only thing better involved a trip our public pool with a book, followed by a chocolate dipped ice cream cone.  However, since I have become an adult and no longer have the luxury of summer vacation from school, my reading time is often squashed in favor of the daily grind.  Plus since I took up knitting there is the ongoing internal debate of read or knit?  

Anybody who has seen our incredible book selection at the shop knows I am a sucker for books. I am on a first name basis with our book distributor and am one of their best customers.  I guess it's because of my fond memories of summers spent combing the library that I have never been one to listen to books on tape, preferring to "read" my books the old-fashioned way.  I also prefer to listen to podcasts or watch TV in lieu of listening to an audio book while I knit.  I need to concentrate on knitting not trying to decipher characters and plots. 

My summer reading kicked into high gear on our Ireland trip in May with Debbie Macomber's A Good Yarn and Back on Blossom Street.  These two became not only my airplane reading (10 hour direct flights to/from Dublin prompted me to read just about anything...Irish butter wrappers, the back of yogurt cups, or the contents of the Irish bottled water), but also trekked throughout our small town destinations, providing a knitting haven amongst the Irish landscape of grassy knolls chock-full of sheep.  If I couldn't find a proper yarn shop (of which there were virtually none I assure you) I would at least have A Good Yarn in Seattle. 

When we got back, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's Things I Learned From Knitting (Whether I Wanted To or Not) was added to the growing pile of summer books.  This little book kicked me into gear and proved that just because I have set the needles down doesn't mean I have to stop knitting...mentally that is.   

I now I find myself reading everything I can get my hands on!  Since our trip I have finished probably 5 books which proves that I am just as slow at reading as I am at knitting, but no bother...I am voracious, just not speedy.  It dawned on me this holiday morning though, as I finished Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald, a 500+ page epic and immediately started something lighter, Marley and Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog by Josh Grogan that I have found my summer rhythm!  I'm reading in the morning when I first wake up and right before bed, and reading as I lay by our pool (we may not have a/c, but we have a pool).  I'm knitting in the evenings mostly, while I watch TV, listen to podcasts, or enjoy my evening glass of wine.  I have found the balance!

Here's to a summer full of reading, knitting, sewing, or whatever it is you find pleasure in doing!      
Pin It

No comments: