Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Hazel Knits coming to the 'Nest'!

I can finally admit that I have been keeping a HUGE secret for the past month. I stumbled on a designer while visiting Seattle over the holidays. Mild-mannered and lovely, she quietly said, "I dye yarn" and led me to a small selection sitting on a shelf. My eyes lit up and I could hardly contain my excitement as I walked away having purchased a skein of the most perfect sock yarn I've laid eyes on. Now, anyone who knows me knows I am not a sock knitter, but I know A LOT of sock knitters so I knew that I couldn't let this opportunity pass me by! Turns out that she doesn't just dye sock yarn, but does so much more...

It is with great pleasure that I make this announcement. We will have a VERY special guest at the 'Nest' on February 23rd during our 'Release Party' (6:30-9pm)...Wendee Shulsen-Wienker of Hazel Knits will be joining in our Stitches West fun! If the name Hazel Knits rings a bell, it should because she has been raved about by both Yarn Harlot AND Wendy Knits! Yarn Harlot made a pair of "Monkey" socks in the "Sailor's Delight" colorway. Wendy Knits has designed her own fair-isle gloves and mittens in the Lime Granita and Chocolatier colorways. We will be the first store in California carrying her beautifully hand-dyed yarns.

Here's a little more about Wendee and her thought process...

Wendee Shulsen-Wienker is the owner and artisan behind Hazel Knits yarns. Her main focus is to give a high quality (and beautiful!) yarn to knitters and crocheters to use as a jumping off point to begin a creative knitting journey of their own. She specializes in fingering weight yarns, however lace, DK and heavier yarns are coming soon in exciting blends of silk, soy, alpaca and merino. Her color palette ranges from tinted solid colorways to multi-color blends and watercolor skeins - something to suit the tastes of every fiber junkie.

Wendee spent over eight years in the entertainment industry. For six of those years she was the production manager for a product design studio specializing in the invention of board games and toys. Several of the games in which she was directly involved with have garnered prestigious awards including the TOTY Game of the Year. Working in a small company, she was able to put her design, color and production chops to the test. On a whim, (and to feed her yarn buying habit) she applied for a "hobby job" at a LYS, with the agreement she would part time for one holiday season. That was 2.5 years ago and the "hobby job" soon began to take on a life of it's own. Soon thereafter Hazel Knits was born. Wendee is delighted to bring her yarns to Bobbin's Nest Studio along with a few surprises on February 23rd!
Pin It

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

is the new sock yarn in the store now? or do we have to wait for the release party to buy it?

Didi B said...

You'll need to wait for the party to purchase it, but we can put some on hold for you!