Sunday, January 27, 2008

Artist of the Season: Bryan Northup

We now have an entire collection of Bryan Northup's beaded and glass jewelry! From drop earrings with matching pendants to artful necklaces you won't see anywhere else! We have a little but of everything!

Bryan's bio describes how his talent manifested from high school on. Our friendship came after the high school art class and before his stint at CCAC. We met in a junior college ceramics class...Bryan was much more talented in ceramics than I.

Art making has been a life long passion and I can't imagine doing anything else. My introduction to glass as an art medium was in a high school art class where I learned to make stained glass windows and boxes. Since then glass has been my addiction. The thrill of glass is not only the beauty of colors combining in light, or composing unexpected designs but the many forms glass can take when hot or cold. I experiment continually with my heat worked glass, stained glass and mosaic, mixing or combining all three techniques to make something unexpected, fresh and beautiful.

I completed my BFA in Photography at California College of Arts and Crafts in Oakland California in 1998 and soon thereafter focused on glass and jewelry making. I worked closely with influential artists and jewelry designers in the Bay Area, assisting with production and designs as well as behind the scenes business, marketing and promotion of fine art jewelry. During this time, I first saw dichroic glass used in some primitive jewelry. Like glowing luminescent jellyfish pulsing through the deep sea, the glinting colors suspended between the liquid blobs of black and clear glass hypnotized me. This bioluminescent vision first inspired the creation of my dichroic glass jewelry.

During my journey over the years with glass, I've fabricated numerous stained glass panels of my own design, including commissioned work ranging from small windows for private residences to large-scale church windows. In 1999, I focused my energy on my emerging collection of one- of- a- kind designs in stained glass, mosaics and fused dichroic glass jewelry and growing selection of tableware and cast glass pieces and named it biolumglass.


Bryan's work can be found in his Marin gallery, Artizmo, on his website Biolum Glass, and through his Etsy store. Pin It

No comments: