Monday, December 10, 2007

Something worth sharing

This morning I was the guest speaker in the Fashion Design Dept. at Wilcox High School. I was so incredibly impressed with the program they have! Should students complete all three years they walk out knowing more about sewing than I ever have! I thought it was sweet that their 2nd project is a T-shirt. If memory serves, I believe one of my Home Ec. projects was a T-shirt as well. I was amazed at the number of students who are really considering fashion as a career (ah, thank you Project Runway)! One Senior told me that she just got into Academy of Art! Yay! Plus, they are required in their last year of the program to learn to either knit or crochet! What's not to like about that? It is a wonderful, well-balanced, full-fledged design program that Mrs. R has put together and I was so flattered to be asked to speak.

I was a little daunted to write a speech about my entrepreneurship journey when my business has only really been in existence for 2 months, but apparently "my story" was compelling enough for Mrs. R to ask me back in the spring to speak to another class for "Career Day" (wow! Do I really have a career worth sharing? I guess I do!) The presentation went well...I cracked a few of my lame jokes, but the students laughed, so that put me at ease. My little dog and pony show lasted the entire period, but the students were engaged, posed good questions and some of them spoke to me afterwards. I think the main thing that they got from it was how long it took me to end up where I am and how even at age 15, 20, 25, and 30 I didn't have a clue of what I was going to be when I grew up. Countless majors, 10 years in school, 3 Art degrees, and thousands of dollars in student loans have all added up to this! I guess that is something worth sharing.

**Note: Mrs. R is looking for scrap fabric and yarn for the department. Should you have any to spare please bring it to the shop and I will make sure it gets into the creative hands of the kiddos! Pin It

2 comments:

Judy said...

That's so cool! And I could definitely unload some scraps and yarn. I'll be by soon :)

Jen said...

That's AWESOME, Erin!!!! Congrats on being an excellent role model for kids! You truly have a lot to share!