Friday, November 2, 2007

William Good doing good in the Bay Area

I have always been a huge supporter of Goodwill stores. Every season I pack up my unused clothes, shoes, and household goods to donate. In fact, just last night I loaded up the back of my car with at least 6 bags of miscellaneous goods to drop off. Serendipity took over this morning as I was listening to the radio when I heard that designer Nick Graham (of Joe Boxer fame) is going one step further! His new company "William Good", a play on the Goodwill name, is taking the items that we all drop off at the Goodwill, refurbishing, labeling and selling them under the William Good label. These one-of-a-kind items will be sold at William Good, a store within or next to your local Goodwill store! What an ingenious and creative idea! I love it when designers take it to a whole new level! I must have missed this article in the SF Gate, but I am so happy to hear about it now!

In the spirit of this I would like to point out our collection of books that address the idea and creativity of refurbishing old clothing. First of all, our friends at Stitch Lounge in San Francisco have two books that we carry: Sew Subversive and Subversive Seamster. They will inspire you expand on your wardrobe by modifying it or transforming thrift store finds into an inexpensive, stylish wardrobe. Stitch has also just posted this link to their blog regarding the "Discarded to Divine 2008" competition. Entries are due by January 31, 2008! Better get cracking!

We also carry Second Time Cool: The Art of Chopping Up a Sweater, Just For The Frill of It: 25 Flirty, Fabulous Styles to Make with Clothes You Already Own and Generation T: 108 Ways to Transform a T-Shirt, just to name a few. Let's spruce up those old duds! Pin It

No comments: