Monday, October 15, 2007

Now featuring Paper Quilts


Quarterly we will be featuring a local artist's work in the store that illustrates another aspect of what you you can do with sewing, knitting, crochet or embroidery. We are pleased to announce that our very first "Artist of the Season" is Sheri Rice. I first discovered Sheri's work in San Rafael at Artizmo Gallery and I was more than wowed! Her work is eclectic and beautiful. Her pieces range from work to hang on the wall to unique gift cards and most recently, art books that you can embellish with your own photos, poetry, or worldly musings. I hope Sheri's work inspires you to look outside the realm of possibilities in your own creativity.


In Sheri's own words..."In the harmonious spirit of art and recycling, my work is a combination of the unexpected, created from materials wherever I find them: a scrap of tattered paper, a French menu, an obscure photograph, a page from an old book. This way of collecting and working allows me the continuous creative adventure of seeking and finding, then the excitement of putting it all together. Robert Rauschenberg values the "...inherent usefulness and dignity of all materials..." and I agree with him wholeheartedly as I create art from the discards of others.

Making Paper Quilts allows me to use many of the techniques I have learned over the last few years, particularly in the use of recycled and found materials. Starting with paper as a base, I glue and paint, sand and draw, machine-stitch and varnish, pulling together remnants of ordinary life and exotic places, to create one-of-a-kind quilts made of non-quilt-like materials.

Kurt Schwitters said: "my palette is the waste basket of the world." I like to think that my own work draws from the overlooked wealth of the world, both artistically and environmentally, as I rescue small bits of urban life, past and present, while practicing the ultimate art of recycling." Pin It

No comments: